Tuesday, February 19, 2008

CNY Charity Sale



A friend of mine wanted to do a good deed by donating some cakes to a charity sale held just after CNY. It was also a good opportunity for me to practice. So we decided to make 30 butter cake loafs and 100 cupcakes to sell. For 4 consecutive nights after work, we baked and baked and decorated the cupcakes on the day of delivery.

This is the first time that I had baked so much! I thought that my supply of baking ingredients was sufficient. It was only after the 2nd or 3rd night that I realized I had underestimated some of the supplies. First, we ran out of milk, then it was sugar! And on the day of delivery, we found out that we had miscalculated the number of boxes that we need!. So, off I go again to buy the boxes from a nearby baking supplies shop, knowing that I had to pay more at this shop. Really didn’t have any choice. At the shop, there were only a few boxes left on the shelf and I thought, “oh….no, do I really need to go all the way to Puchong with the jam on a Saturday afternoon?” Luckily, the sales assistant found a stack of them on the floor still unopened. What a relief….

The charity sale is an annual event by the organizers but some how I thought they could still do a lot better. I was supposed to help my friend deliver the cakes and then go home to clean up the mess at home as the organizers have agreed to provide volunteers to man the stall. Unfortunately, no one came and I became the reluctant ”volunteer”.


This turned out to be a blessing in disguise as I had the opportunity to see and hear the comments of the visitors to the sale. The loaf butter cake was sold out within the 1st 2 hours. We actually reduced the price because another friend commented that the price was too high. I guess it was the mentality of the people from that area. They are so used to buying a loaf of butter cake costing around RM4 only from the hypermarket . Many were curious to see the cute little cupcakes but were not willing to pay for them. Some even asked us, if they were real cake! Anyway, we managed to sell every thing by 8pm. Thank God!

I am grateful to this couple who bought 14 boxes from us and this other young lady who bought 12 boxes! This young lady was so cute… she liked the cupcakes so much that every time she comes by our stall, she will buy a few boxes…..






































2 comments:

Jens said...

Well done! Cup cakes look yummy!

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.