Sunday, July 6, 2008

Goody Bag n Shopping Frenzy


When I agreed to make these 2 cakes, I kind of broke some "rules" that I made for myself. Firstly, I do not deliver cakes on weekdays due to my work schedule. Secondly, if it is the first time that I am making the cake, I will make them twice. One is for practise and the second one is for delivery. But this time round, I did not have the luxury of time.




When you get to know this colleague of mine, you will discover that it is very difficult to say no to her. Hence, I broke my own ruke. One of her daughters, Airina, will be celebrating her 9th birthday but she needs 2 cakes because the other daughter, Izzati, also wants a cake on her sister's birthday. I understand that when it's Izzati's birthday, Airina also wants a cake. So, it's always a double celebration. We talked about many different themes and design and she finally picked Debbie Brown's designs. And she wanted the cake on a Friday so that she can have the party on Satuday in Seremban where she lives.



I made in advance whatever that I could because I knew there was a lot of work to be done and I don't have much time on week nights.... been going to bed only after 12 every night. Even then, by 2.30am on Thursday night... Friday morning rather, I still had not assemble the little girl. I decided to leave that to the next morning as I would be on leave. It was a last minute decision to take the morning off and am I glad that I did!


When I woke up in the morning, to my horror, all the upright shopping bags toppled and there were creases and cracks on the bags. Surprisingly, I did not panic. Just told myself to re-do lor.... I guess I was too zoombiefied to panic. I did all I could to fix the bags but the humidity in my home was working against me. Didn't even think about switching on the air-con. hmmm... the effect of lack of sleep... couldn't even think properly :)


I felt so bad about the condition of the 2nd cake that I wanted reduce the price but I really couldn't as I was only charging her "friendship" price. My colleague was so nice that she didn't appear upset when I explained the situation to her. Surprisingly, she said that we'll try another design next time.


When the other colleagues saw the cake, one of them said that he wanted me to make a Coach bag cake for his wife. I was speechless.... these people has too much faith in me la.... How am I going to make one?

The next time, whatever I make, I'll make sure that I abide by my first rule ie. to make on weekends only. If it doesn't turn out, I'll still have ample to fix them :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hahaha YM. What a funny posting!Who asked you for the Coach Bag cake actually?

Come to think of it, that's a good idea, considering the 'supposedly' glamour environment we're in. i.e. you should start baking all those 'branded' (cake) bags!

For those who can't afford the branded bags, they can actually get the 'branded' (bag) cakes!